Friday, July 23, 2010

A beautiful bloom.

The first time I thought about what I'd look like on my wedding day wasn't when I was 8, dressed up in the hat my mom wore (hello, 80's) on her wedding day, and it wasn't when I went to my first wedding in 8th grade.

The first time I thought about what I'd look like on my wedding day, I was sitting in a movie theater with my college roommate, A. Faithful patrons of the Dollar Theatre, we rarely ventured over to Governor's Square to see any of the new releases, so who knows what made us fork out the cash to go see 27 Dresses. At the risk of looking like a massive dork, I'll be honest. When I saw Jane walk toward Kevin at the end of the movie with her gorgeous dress and beautiful bouquet, I leaned in to A and whispered, "I call dibs on that hairstyle for my wedding."


Long before the hair flower trend blew up in the blogosphere (at least I think long before, I wasn't really following the wedding trends in college), I knew that on my wedding day, I'd have a bloom snuggled up in my knot of hair.

Like many other brides do, I decided to go with a faux flower rather than using the real thing. After browsing Etsy and every other website known to man, I figured this would be the perfect opportunity for my first DIY project!


What you'll need: 
  • Squares of fabric in your choice of colors (tulle, organza, chiffon, etc.)
  • Piece of cardboard for your template (an empty cereal box or soda carton might work best, go with something thin)
  • Scissors
  • Pins
  • Needle
  • Thread
  • Pearls and/or beads (optional)
  • Hot Glue Gun (optional)
  • Hair clip
Step 1:
  • Trace or draw a design on your piece of cardboard and cut it out. Be creative with the shape of your template! I drew my petals to look more triangular.  
  • Pin your template to a stack of fabric squares to keep it in place. 

Step 2:
  • Using your scissors, cut around your template. You may want to do this step more than once using smaller stacks of fabric to make cutting easier. Keep in mind, the more fabric you use, the thicker your hair flower will be. 
  • Once all of the cutting had been done, pull the layers of fabric apart and layer them again, this time with the petals alternating and shifting slightly to one side each time. Pin your layers together.

Step 3:
  • Place two small stitches in the center of your stack of fabric. This will hold the fabric together, making the stack easier to handle and the next step a tad easier. 

Step 4: 
  • After you've stitched the center together, fold your fabric stack in half and place a stitch on either side. The center stitch you made in Step 3 will keep the fabric from sliding out of place while you fold it. It will be especially helpful if you've decided to make a thicker flower. 

Step 5:
  • Holding each end of your fabric stack outside of the stitches you made in Step 4, bring the sides together forming a cone-like shape with your fabric. Using pins, secure the ends together. Using your needle and thread, stitch the sides together. I found that sewing in a corset patter held the fabric together pretty securely. 

Step 6 (optional):
  • My original idea was to sew a few beads and pearls into the center of the hair flower, but mine was so thick it almost would have been pointless. The easiest way to add the pearls/beads would be to add a dollop of hot glue to the center of your bud and arrange the pearls/beads to your liking. 
Step 7: 
  • Add a hair clip. Sew/hot glue it on to the back of your hair flower.
Step 8: 
  • Admire your work! Please excuse my crazy hair in this picture. I had yet to straighten in that day but now I'm only further convinced that I should never leave the house without doing so. 

What was your first DIY project? Are you planning on wearing a hair flower? 

3 comments:

peachyplum said...

How sweet :)

Ms. Teacher said...

wow! Super impressed!
My mother wore flowers in her hair so I am debating fresh flowers or a hair piece. I had not considered DIYing it though. AWESOME post!

M said...

Thanks so much! I'm glad you like it!